Upcoming events …
- Venue of “Svenska skidspelen” Fis world cup 8-9 February 2020
- Vasaloppsveckan 21 February- 1 March 2020
- Several smaller ski races are found on Dalarnas skidförbunds event calendar – Dalarna.
- Runn winterweek 7-22 February 2020 (Runs by volunteers)
- Runn days always week 32 (Runs by volunteers. Site only in Swedish, sorry)
- Vansbrosimningen (Vansbro swim) 27 June- 5 July 2020
- About Peace & Love festival 4-6 July 2020.
- Knowledge and access til about just everything that happens in Dalarna You will find in the calender at the site of tourist information: visitdalarna.
What our guests been up to, so far …
- fishing in lake Varpan. You can buy fishing permission online here.
Here is a link to the map over the fishing area. Scroll down to the bottom of the page. Only in Swedish.
- hiking from Falun to Rättvik with its surroundings.
- visited museums like, the coppermine in Falun, the home of Karin and Carl Larsson, the Zorn museum, Orsa park for predators in Grönklitt to watch polar bears.
- jogging and walking in the tracks around Österå (even been running around our lake Varpan (about 13 km.)
- watched the Vansbro swimming competition (Vansbrosimningen) 2015
- participated in events during the week of Vasaloppet.
- watched the World Ski Championship 2015
- serving and waxing skies for ski-jumpers. (There are ski jumps in the Lugnet venue, Falun)
- watching the Svenska skidspelen / FIS WORLD CUP, usually in february.
- watched and participated in other smaller ski competitions.
- visiting relatives, been to parties and gone married.
Winter and summer sports, activities
When it has been cold long enough for the ice to build up on the lake Varpan it is nice to go skating there. When then snow falls, You can also go skiing. And if some of our neighbors is kind enough to clear a track from the snow we can still also go skating. It is about 110 yd (100 m) down to the shore and the ice.
Snowfree tracks for skating You find in a 15 minutes drive on lake Runn. By the “Hälsinggårds”-jetty or somewhere along the road to “Roxnäs” cape one can park and use as starting point.
Down our road, next to us by our neighbor, a track for snowmobiles passes, which You can use for skiing as well. (If You are not too picky.)
For downhill skiing a 30 min drive will take You to either “Romme alpin” in Borlänge or the opposite way to Bjursås alpin outside Bjursås (no pages in english on their site). A two hours drive passing Rättvik and Orsa will take you to Orsa Grönklitts ski area. A three hours drive instead passing Rättvik and Mora will take You to Sälenfjällen (Stöten, etc…). And a four hour drive will take You to Idrefjäll.
Smaller ski slopes closer are Svärdsjöliften close to “Hillersboda” and Källviksbacken.
There are a lot of tracks for cross country skiing at Lugnet and a very popular, known to “always” have snow and considered very beautiful is “Sörskog”. It lies between Falun and Rättvik. Take the road to “Gärdsjö” in “Bjursås” and drive along “Svedjelundsvägen”.
Lugnet, is a nature reserve as well as a sportsvenue with facilities for all types of sports.
From our yard you can also enter tracks for running and hiking and in the summer you can go swimming in the lake Varpan. The beach is about 100 m (310 feet) from our house.
Wildlife and nature experiences
In the woods of Dalarna there are bears, wolfs, moose’s or and elks. Deers, foxes and hares are running (and eating!) frequently in our garden. To put it short – we have a wildlife. So, jogging and strolling is not only a pleasant way to spend time in the woods, it can also be interesting.
It is about one hour drive to “Grönklitt” and Orsa rovdjurspark, and its wild predators. If You want to see a polar bear for instance. Grönklitt has a vast outdoor recreation area, where You also can ski wintertime.
For artists and nature lovers
The greenhouse works quite well as a studio. If you are interested in gesture drawing (figure drawing) and sketching and painting life model, there are frequent sessions at Dalarnas museum in Falun, check www.modellteckning.se, (The website is written in Swedish but you can probably understand the calender anyway.) Occasionally there are sessions held right across our road in “Österå Bystuga“. Dalarnasmuseum has a lot going on, the Zorn museum in Mora is about one hour drive away and Karin and Carl Larssons home in Sundborn is about 20 minutes drive from here. The home of the sculptor Arvid Backlund is also quite close. (Website only in Swedish.)
Assembly hall for events!
If You are looking for a spacious place and an opportunity to stay over night, the combination of the “Österå bystuga” and our B&B is an opportunity. Check the calender to see when it is free and who to contact for booking. Their site is written in swedish only, so if You want me to assist You with checking the calender – let me know by writing me a comment here on the site.